- No matter who wins mayoralty, City Hall’s work will be hindered by battles between parties, Antoniţa Fonari pentru Info-Prim Neo, 17 June 2011, 11:42
- Protection of Personal Data within the Dialogue on Visa Liberalization and the Negotiation of the Association Agreement between the R. of Moldova and the EU, Bogdan Manolea, Centrul Român de Politici Europene/Fundaţia Soros-Moldova, 10 June 2011, 16:01
- EU-Moldova Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area: a springboard to modernization or a road to ruin?, Alex OPRUNENCO, Centrul Analitic Independent "EXPERT-GRUP", 10 May 2011, 12:30
- The Council of Europe, the Communists and a New Referendum, Denis CENUSA, 4 March 2011, 11:06
- Coalition 2010, Irina Severin, 26 January 2011, 9:42
- The "shy" regret of Chisinau concerning the events in Belarus, Denis CENUSA, 26 January 2011, 9:41
Vice-director, The Center for Combating Economic Crimes and Corruption
20 parties have registered in the current election campaign. Many people say it is a too big number for such a small country as Moldova. At the same time, much more parties could take part in the election campaign.
Brussels Encouraging, Tiraspol Troubling
- "Moldova Azi" information portal is changing its format and editorial content, Centrul pentru Jurnalism Independent, 8 August 2011, 15:19
- Moldovan students queue up to apply for scholarships in Romania, Info-Prim Neo, 4 August 2011, 13:44
- Ukrainian scholarships not very popular in Moldova, Info-Prim Neo, 2 August 2011, 14:58
- Kent Larson: USAID will always support process of Moldova democratization, INFOTAG, 1 August 2011, 13:42
- Parliament sets up new commission - for checking civil servants' property and incomes, INFOTAG, 29 July 2011, 9:00
- Scandal in Moldovan parliament over deputies' relatives, INFOTAG, 29 July 2011, 9:00
The separatist leaders' attack is starting at the same time with the agreement between mediators and international observers about the necessity of resuming the "5+2" negotiations reached. Despite the benevolent and productive environment created by Chisinau authorities with support of Europeans which relented owing to the political changes that have taken place since 2009, the anti-constitutional forces on the left bank are always organizing different subversive acts to hinder the negotiations. The separatists' actions vary from prevention of elections in the Transnistrian region's villages and intimidation of electors to putting their own conditions, such as to resume train traffic through the Transnistrian segment putting Chisinau in a disadvantageous situation.
The separatists' courage and impudence are above the admissible level but so far they haven't faced necessary resistance of the constitutional authorities which are forced to keep calmness to prevent Tiraspol from any unpredicted actions. It seems that the Moldovan authorities like the "keeping check" state as they are rather capable of intensifying the talks by giving some concessions than by searching compromise in order to achieve the country's reintegration, playing in games with a negative sum.
Contradiction to Berlin or Confrontation with the West due to the "Recognition"
Traveling through the Schengen area stipulates strict measures aimed to prevent or restrict entry of non-European suspicious citizens. Circulation of unrecognized documents which are constantly produced and issued by the Tiraspol administration creates a favorable ground for the increase in the number of people from the left bank refused by the Western consulates' chancelleries. Permanent users of Russian and Ukrainian authorities' patience, the separatists' leaders taught the controlled population to the exigent behavior as well. However, unlike the "supreme authorities" having right to travel in the European Union freely, at least for the next six months, the most part of the region's population that is reducing with time can travel through Europe only with documents provided by the Moldovan constitutional authorities or with passports issues by tireless Ukraine and Russia.
The German consulate's refusal to open visas for students from the Transnistrian region who had only "separatist" identity cards was negatively taken by Tiraspol. The diplomatic mission accredited in Chisinau was accused in the protest note presented by foreign affairs representatives of the separatist regime of the rude and even offensive attitude to people born in the country's eastern regions who wanted to receive a Schengen visa.
The seriousness of the separatist authorities' tone goes beyond all permissible diplomatic limits testing German patience. Tiraspol casts doubt on Berlin's ability to influence the correct Transnistrian conflict settlement stating that the "consular incident" is an obstacle for "cooperation between Transnistria and Germany in the social, cultural, humanitarian areas and others".
At first sight, this action seems to be aimed at discredit of the German party and a kind of blackmail against it, demanding certain privileges for owners of "Transnistrian" documents. However, the hostility in respect of one of the greatest European countries is used by Tiraspol to promote the illegal regime's image as well. Separatists try to invest by means of the "confrontation" method into the "autonomy and power" of the region, strongly disputed by mediators, observers and international organizations' representatives (except Russia and it's allies.
The increase of Transnistria's role in the negotiation process is another goal of Tiraspol leaders willing to take advantage of the regional geopolitical context and big indulgence of Western subjects.
Europeans' Openness and "Subtle Criticism"
To create conditions for intensification of the "5+2" negotiations, Brussels extended the right of traveling through the EU for separatist leaders for six months.  Being confident of the efficiency of the conditions, European representatives insist in relations with Tiraspol on solution of the problem of schools using Latin script situated on the territory controlled by separatists, as well as on the free travelling through the Transnistrian region. However, it looks like the tactics of „carrot" without using „stick" doesn't give wanted results as the separatists enjoy the unlimited support of Russia and stop negotiations on any occasion.
Being the followers of diplomatic gentleness and rationality, Europeans avoid criticizing the left bank regime except subtle indications regarding the schools and free traveling of people. Following the EU's behavior, Chisinau authorities also avoided statements about the worsening situation in the field of human rights (cases of Ernest Vardanov and Ilia Cozacu) during the recent meetings with OSCE officials paying a visit to Chisinau. Europeans also wouldn't discuss this subject, dealing with the resumption of the talks and securing of the dynamic predictable dialogue to exclude any uncontrolled "bursts" or "thaws" in the conflict. Georgia's unsuccessful experience, new conflicts between Armenians and Azerbaijanis make Europeans more cautious in respect of the unsettled problem on the Dniester despite the fact that the most optimistic prospects are forecasted for this conflict.
On the other hand, Tiraspol is using the EU's openness and Chisinau's cooperation character to strengthen its positions in the negotiation process and to approve the statement on declaration of the Transnistrian region's independence.
Instead of the Conclusion...
No matter how important the diplomatic and political maneuvers are, neither Brussels nor Chisinau have right to give up the subjects of human rights in the Transnistrian region which is important for both parties being the major principles of the EU's functioning and major clauses for achievement of progress in the country's reintegration process and for the European integration of the whole constitutional territory of Moldova.
1. Transnistrian Foreign Affairs Ministry sent a noted to Germany's Embassy in Moldova, http://www.olvia.idknet.com/ol211-09-10.htm
2. Brussels decided to prolong the cancel of restrictions for travelling of Tiraspol leaders for aother six months, http://europa.md/primary.php?d=rom&n=Evenimente.0_7671