New authorities going to investigate into April 7 riots

Moldova’s acting President and Chairman of Parliament, Mihai Ghimpu, has stated that the country’s new leaders will bring to a logical end the investigation into the reasons and details of the April 7 riots in Chisinau, on Channel TV7, Monday night.
INFOTAG, 22 September 2009, 15:17

"The riot investigation commission, formed by former President Vladimir Voronin last April, must be dissolved, and this shall be done as soon as possible. We must establish a new commission that will include experts from the European Union and Council of Europe who have long stated preparedness to assist in investigating the events." Ghimpu said.

He stressed the investigation must necessarily be brought to an end so as to find out the entire truth of the April events and thus to overcome the split in the Moldovan society over the issue.

"I presume many traces and much evidence have already been annihilated, but, still, the truth must be established".

And candidate for premiership Vlad Filat stated on the same night over the ProTV-Chisinau channel, "Those were not the Communist ministers and their Premier, who must have resigned prior to formation of a new Cabinet, but the Information and Security Service (ISS) Director and the Prosecutor General. They will be replaced in the nearest time. We are aware that these two structures are now taking measures to conceal the traces of the April crimes. But all who committed the crimes, all who gave orders - all offenders must be punished according to the law".

As Infotag has already reported, on 6 April 2009 the local youth came out to streets to express protest against the April 5 parliamentary election results, which they believed had been heavily rigged, so the Communist Party managed to grasp as many as 44.7% ballots. On the following day, April 7, the protesting developed into mass-scale riots in the center of Chisinau, during which the parliament building and the presidential office were severely damaged and plundered out.

The then Communist authorities were quick to lay the responsibility for the riots on the opposition, and resorted to harsh actions: in subsequent days, hundreds of people were arrested by the police, and many of them were subjected to brutal physical tortures at police stations. Several criminal litigations have not been closed down even by now, though all detainees have been long released. On President Voronin's order, a governmental investigation commission was set up, and even gathered for one working meeting, after which ceased showing any signs activity thank to the onset of a new parliamentary election campaign.